Types of Child Care

Some forms of care are licensed by the State of California’s Community Care Licensing Division. Licensed care assures a minimal standard of health and safety protection and is regulated by Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations. It does not ensure quality. Only a parent can judge whether a child care setting or preschool program is right for his or her child.

Licensed child care centers and preschool: Child care centers are almost always licensed. They provide group care outside of a home. Generally, licensed centers require one adult for every four infants, one adult for every 12 preschoolers or one adult for every 14 school-age children. Teachers and directors in child care centers are required to meet specific educational requirements set by the state.

Title 5 Programs: The California Department of Education, Child Development Division (CDD) provides funding for a variety of child care and early education programs, through contracts with centers and family child care home networks. Certain characteristics of these programs, such as eligibility requirements, staff qualifications and ratios, are regulated by Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. Centers with contracts to operate CDD funded programs are often referred to as “Title 5 contracted centers”. Title 5 regulations are more rigid than Title 22 regulations.

Head Start Program: Head Start is a nationwide federally funded early childhood program for low-income preschool children, primarily ages three to five. It is designed to provide comprehensive services in preparation for public school. Services include cognitive and language development, medical, dental, mental health, nutritional, and social services. The program places particular emphasis on parental involvement. For information about specific eligibility requirements, you can contact the Institute for Human and Social Development (IHSD) at (650) 578-3440.

Licensed Family Child Care: Licensed family child care is offered in a caregiver’s own home. Providers can be licensed to care for up to 8 or 14 children. The acceptable number of children depends on the age-mix of children in care. Infants require more care than older children. A provider caring for more than 8 children must have an assistant.

License-exempt child care: If you prefer to have a relative or a friend care for your child, or to have your child cared for in your own home, license-exempt care is an option. While license-exempt care is often convenient, it is important to know that it is unregulated. The TrustLine program is a statewide registry that allows parents, for a fee, to check the background of an unregulated caregiver by submitting names and fingerprints to be checked by the California Department of Justice for any records of violent crimes or child abuse. Information about TrustLine can be obtained from 4Cs’ referral specialists at (650) 517-1460.